Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Apple doesn't like me




I got up this morning. At 4:30am. Against all reason. Why? Well, my inner technology loving bastard child got the best of me. I want the new iPhone. Bad. And I wanted it this morning. That is exactly the reason I got up at 4:30am. By 5am I was standing in front of the Apple store on 5th Ave right by Central Park. And I wasn't the only one there. There were a lot of people. Waiting for the iPhone to be sold at 7am. Although it is a store open 24 hours, 7 days a week, the iPhone can only be bought at daytime hours. People were nervous. "Is the 16 GB version in black still available?" was probably the most asked question. Insecurity reigned supreme. Faces looked around bedazzled. Then a nice Apple employee came out and made sure that the people buying an iPhone have everything they need. Social Security Number? Check! US ID? Check! ... Hold on! US ID?! I got this burgundy, a little bent-around-the-edges-but-screaming-worldtraveller, (Which I am not. I am just untidy. But Apple doesn't know.) German passport!

-Elevatormusicplaying-
Before I go on, do you remember the movie Crocodile Dundee with Paul Hogan? Sure you do. Then you surely also know the scene where these two thugs try to mug the Dundee. They pull out a knife and Paul Hogan goes: That's not a knife. That's a knife. And pulls out the mother of all knives. At that moment you can just see the eyes of the thugs fill up with fear und disappointment. Then you will know how I felt when I heard the Apple employee tell me this:
-Elevatormusicstop-


That is not an ID. That's an ID! -showinghisAmericanone-

Ok, he didn't say it like that but it makes my story better this way. All the same, the result was that no matter how early I got up, Apple wasn't going to accept my form of ID and therefore I was not going to get one of them fancy phones.

Saddened I left. To go home. But I had a plan! At 8:30am I would show up the DMV to get myself a photo ID. An American one ---> Partyyyy! And then stand in line for 3-4 hours for phoneyphone ---> Not so much partyyyy. So I stood in line at the DMV for an hour. Unfortunately getting an ID isn't that simple of a thing to do. At least not for me and my visa status. But that's a different story.

So what did I end up with? The realization that getting up early gets you nowhere and Apple employees have the power to make you feel like a little girl. And that at 5 o'clock in the morning, it is possible to meet an old friend you haven't seen for 10 years, also standing in line, waiting for an iPhone. Furthermore you can just order an iPhone at an AT&T store without an American ID. They like German passports. Even when the edges are a little bent.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like being a little girl....

Anonymous said...

Poor Felix :-)

Anonymous said...

The getting up early part would have annoyed be anyways...

Anonymous said...

It's the hardknock life for us....

Anonymous said...

derbe!

Anonymous said...

I said that's life, and as funny as it may seem
Some people get their kicks,
Stompin' on a dream
But I don't let it, let it get me down,
'Cause this fine ol' world it keeps spinning around

...What a destiny!

Kerze said...

You´ve deserve it. Want an Iphone... gayfucker. And your "und" in this text shows how you love german :P

Anonymous said...

Everybody loves Germany, right?
Nevertheless sucks the IPhone like hell. Even nerds don't buy it.

Derrick said...

In my mind the iPhone is the best cellphone out there. Why? Because it is so much more than a cellphone. And oh yes, especially nerds want the iphone. It just is the nicest little Gadget out there.

Anonymous said...

Wait, does that mean there is a slight chance people might be out there who even like little girls like me with edges that are a little bent here and there?! I need to think about this now... Think pink. (In this special case I'd even say burgundy counts as pink.) Think apple. (If this comment doesn't make any sense at all, forgive me. Human brain doesn't work at night. Not even in Germany.) // The Lynster

Derrick said...

Lyniiiiiiiiiii!

Anonymous said...

Well, doesn't it have to be "Lynneeeee" or maybe "Lynnieeeee" in your language? The "i" in "Lyni" is so Apple iPhone, don't you think? *pauses* Uhm, wait, what was this entry about again? *grin* To be honest, I've been browsing your blog for about an hour now, and, while I am suffering from some kind of sleeping disorder, I really feel perfectly entertained over here. So nice to read from you. // L.

Derrick said...

Well I am quite glad you like it. Sorry about the sleepind disorder though. But then again it is daylight over here so you really should not be sleeping. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I will just close my eyes and imagine myself somewhere warm and cozy and light... Maybe even somewhere like NYC. Times Square would be nice with its glitter and traffic and naked gay guitar playing cowboys - and musicals. Me loves musicals, you know. *grins and closes her eyes* -- Ok, now I only see black. -- But what the hell are you doing in front of your computer right now? Go outside where the Big Apple vibrates at dawn... (Apple - there it was again.) Duesseldorf misses you though. *stares theatrically out of her window into the night*

Anonymous said...

Jaja Felix, mein Beileid! Aber ist doch mal was, um 4:30 durch NY schlendern :-)

Ich hoffe man wird von Dir mal einen Beitrag lesen was Du so beruflich in NY machst und wie es Dir so geht. GIGA ist ja eine einzige Katastrophe geworden (und ab August wird es dann noch schlimmer), gut das Du da den Schuh gemacht hast!

Lynlee said...

I was going to ask who you ran into in line, but then I noticed someone with almost my name all over your comments page!! Too strange.

I am off to Germany in 5 days! Ich schicke Dir Grüße aus dem Heimatland!