Monday, July 7, 2008

I wish I was into comics

When I was younger I did read comics every now and then. I liked Clever & Smart, also Mad Magazine and of course the European stuff such as Tintin, Lucky Luke and Asterix & Obelix. I even had some of the early Star Wars comicbooks that came out before the movie Return of The Jedi, where the creators had no clue yet that Luke and Leia were brother and sister and thus had a intimate relationship. Also read some Superhero stuff but didn't really have a favorite. At least I think. I never really got hooked on comics though but looking back I realise I read more than I thought I did. To me they were just the perfect entertainment when I hit the john. But other than that I didn't really find them that gripping. And growing older I also grew out of them. Why am I telling you all this? Well I was walking around NYC again today and stumbled upon Forbidden Planet, a comicbook and toy store of sorts, close to Union Square. And that place is awesome! It makes me wish I was more into comics. But also Fans of movies will love it. They have all kinds of memorabilia that will make your movie-lovin' heart jump. Take for example this replica of the Enterprise NCC-1701 (the ship tha our beloved James T. Kirk commandeered):



And this thing is huge! I would say it is around 30 inches (75cm) long. The whole store is packed with cool stuff like that. And it sort of makes me wish I would have gotten more involved in comics. There seem to be so many cool ones out there but I feel it is too late to really get involved and as I said, I am just no that into it. But I guess you can't have everything. But I will own that NCC-1701 some day. Oh yes, I will. Some day.

Check out the link to take a look at Forbidden Planet. If you ever are in NYC and are a fan of comics, this is definitely a place to check out.

7 comments:

He.BaMa said...

Hey Felix.
These are awesome pics. I really liked reading comics when i was younger. But now, like you told, i don't have anything left for them.
I hope you will get lucky in NYC and oneday, i will live there,too.

have a nice day

Anonymous said...

Hi roomie.
This Enterprise is awesome.
It will fit perfectly into my living room and you know that, cause u lived here!!!
Get it for me.... for like... 50 Euros??? ;)

Kerze said...

Why should it be to late, to become a comicmaniac?

Derrick said...

MykelJay, you bastard crack me up. ;-)

Because all the stories have backgrounds. A history so to speak. And having missed all that is too much to catch up. And I just dont care for comics that much although I think they look neat.

Kerze said...

Okay, i get it. But you can choose one comic what really turns you on and read it from the beginning. ;)

Anonymous said...

It makes me wish that I was more into comics AND have lots of money to spend at the same time... Some of this stuff must be ridiculous expensive with all those geeky fans out there.

Anonymous said...

hey derrick...
don't care about that you haven't read this comics, i haven't too, but i like this old retro stuff (you know retro rockt derbe)

is this your plane home? :P
no, its just a joke, have fun