Thursday, July 3, 2008

Entertainment Weekly, The New Classics Part 2: Videogames

So here we go again. EW - The New Classics. But this time they picked videogames. Couldn't wait to read this one. Again, EW looked at the best of the last 25 years and picked 50 new classics. And again I will post the ones I don't really agree with. For my own reasons. But this time, I will go a little more into detail. Here you will find the full Top 50 list.

  • Nr. 1: Tetris. Come oooon! That is so lame. Surprise me! That game has always been a classic. There really isn't anything new about this one. Will never forget the endless times I spent playing it on my Gameboy.
  • Nr. 5: Guitar Hero. Sorry, I just don't like Guitar Hero that much. Never understood the buzz. Too hard for beginners to pick up at a party. Too unentertaining for those who watch it.
  • Nr. 11: Halo 1. Halo was the first Shooter on a console that had excellent pad control and an awesome multiplayer... No wait! That was GoldenEye. Well, Halo 1 was that game with the great level design... No, not really either. Halo 1? Overrated.
  • Nr. 18: Half-Life. Oh this one definitely should be in the Top 50. But ranked higher. At least Top 5. This is the first shooter that introduced an involving story and spawned great games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress.
  • Nr. 20: Gears of War. Yeah, I know, the game does have great graphics. And I agree it is fun to play. Especially in coop mode. Yet it could have been more than cover-shoot-cover. Should be in there but I would give it a lower ranking.
  • Nr. 24: Tony Hawk 2. Never liked the series. Maybe it is because I suck at it so much.
  • Nr. 25: Shadow of the Colossus. This game is a piece of art. It is beautiful in every way. Tells a story with amazing pictures. Would be in my Top 10 if not Top 5.
  • Nr. 40: Okami. Same as with Shadow of the Colossus. One of the most beautiful game experiences I have had. Too bad it was a financial disaster.
  • Nr. 43: Psychonauts. A lot of people see this as an underrated game and hailed it as one of the best games by Tim Schafer. I just never got into it that much and could not understand the underground hype around it.
  • Nr. 47: Oblivion. Yes, the game does have a lot of sidequests. Some are even very innovative and entertaining. But the world was just boring. Pretty much everything looked the same. It was one big green forest. And Monsters leveling with you? Crappy idea!
There are some more games I would not pack in there. All the 1 on 1 BeatemUps. Never cared for those. Also Wipeout, which to me is overrated. But some games that are absolutely brilliant were not in there. I was shattered. What happened to the following new classics?



There are probably more games, that I can't think of right now. Especially in the ShootemUp section. That to me really is the best genre. Gradius stands for all of the ones I didn't mention here. What do you think about the list? Let me know.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

They 'forgot' Monkey Island? Wtf?

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you I bought Gradius III on the Wii and I love it! It should REALLY be in there.
Monkey Island? We don't even need to talk about it, because it HAS to be in EVERY Classic Games list.

Greets from good old Germany :)

Kerze said...

Please... where the hell is "Secret of Mana"? And for me, "FFX" is missing too.

Anonymous said...

guess turok,star fox 64,sims 1(sry but i liked it!),gta2,splinter cell,super mario 64 and zelda a link to the past are missing.
it's friggin' hard to put a top 50 list toghether ..too many classics-
but definately no classics (in my opinion) are: guitar hero and madden nfl

Anonymous said...

Yeh, seems indeed hard to get a top 50 list which will please everyone, but there are some big no-no's in there and (as you all said) Guitar Hero is def. the worst.

Anonymous said...

Jagged Alliance 2 missing. Nuff said.

Anonymous said...

Why don't you create your own top 50 list of video games? It would be interesting to know what you think.