Wednesday, July 2, 2008

When commercials go wrong...

In the land of TV, I watch a lot of TV. Why? Because I can do it without wearing pants. But during a commercial brake of the Wimbledon tennis tournament broadcast I saw this:



So, what did we see? Franklin Templeton invests their shareholders money in thermal vision technology for firefighters. Now Seriously! How does that make sense?! Last time I checked, fire gets pretty hot. And not only that, also everything in the vicinty of the fire will get pretty hot. I am not an expert but I would say just as hot or hotter than the normal body temperature of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit (37˚ Celcius). So I would say a thermal vision tool used for detecting people in a burning building isn't really the most accurate and reliable tool. But what do I care, I am not a shareholder nor do I need to be rescued. Thank god, because I am not wearing any pants.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing to do for firefighters is, uhm, fighting fire? What´s with rescuing pretty kittens from trees and pumping water out of your garage? I´m not an expert, too, but there will be a reason for firefighters to wear thermal vision googles^^ But I agree with you that the commercial doesn´t (?) make any sense :-P

Anonymous said...

no pants...cant get that image out of my brain.

Kerze said...

There´s no more fire, aside from that one on the floor. So... in this instance... its all right. But I wouldn´t choose this tool in a place on fire, thats for sure.

Anonymous said...

I would assume that these goggles only shows the heatrange between lets say 35 and 40 degrees celsius.

So, everything that is not in this range will appear blue in the goggles.

Anonymous said...

never mind buddy but thats exactly the point! fire's over 900°F hot and a person about 98°F..never thought bout that the thermal images can also show cooled down objects ,marked as blue stuff surrounded by a red/yellow area?
http://www.bullard.com/Thermalimager/Media_Info/factsheet.shtml
viva america for such technologies..
but what do i care?
thank god you get such ideas bloggin about!

Derrick said...

All I am saying is the commercial doesnt make that clear. And in a fire in a house where there are walls, there are going to be many fluctuations in heat. From a open fire to hot walls and doors that might have only heated up a little. So it will probably be hard to tell a human shape. I am not saying it doenst work at all. Just doesnt seem like a reliable tool to me.

Anonymous said...

makes the job of fire fighters a little bit easier.but the fact is: never trust high tech completely!