Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Death Beam!

On sunday I took the train to visit an old friend of mine from high school. So I went to Grand Central Station on 42nd St, which by itself already is quite a sight and looks very impressive. I will post some pics of that historic building sooner or later. So this friend of mine lives out in Westport which is northeast of NYC and about an hour away.


Large Map

And it also is in the state of Connecticut (shouldn't it be spelled Conneticut since you don't hear the second C?!) which I didn't know. What I also didn't know is, that people in Westport are quite friendly. When I boarded the train to get back to the city, I saw this little stand in the train station:


That is just awesome and the kind of thing I love about living here. People do mind a lot more about each other. I mean, how many times have you come to a trainstation and just wished you had something to read? Great idea and props to Westport! And of course, I couldn't say no to Death Beam. Just the silver title makes it exceptional. Here is an excerpt from the back of the book:

Moscow: the Soviets have perfected the doomsday weapon that can bring America to its knees... New York City: a world-calss assassin readies a strike at the President... East Germany: a communist spy masters uses family connections to turn Isreal into a red puppet... Miami: the only American who knows what is happening has his head blown off...

The title is just screaming "Please make me into a B-Movie!". Awesome, just awesome. And no worries Westport, I will bring back the book for other people to enjoy. As soon as I am done with it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks like one of the old train stations in the movies! Awesome.. and the idea with the books are great.

Anonymous said...

Is your old buddy rich or something, or why does he live in Connecticut?!? ;)

But seriously, I've got the solution why it spelt Connecticut. It's because of the damn stupid schoolkids from Texas. So they just make a connect, add an i, and cut this connection. At least some of the schoolkids can memerize that...

Unknown said...

Ah, this idea is great!
But I think that wouldn't work in Germany...

Anonymous said...

Actually, near my hometown there IS something similar and it does work. People bring their old books and take a new book with them... so it does work. But it's rare, I agree - And an awesome idea.

Eddy said...

isn't that from the co-author of the spike?!

Anonymous said...

(shouldn't it be spelled Conneticut since you don't hear the second C?!)

No, they're just like that in CT. Someday soon we'll discuss how do pronounce "Greenwich":)

Anonymous said...

isn´t the Hyatt (a few feed further after GCS) also a nice place to stay?

I can tell you, it is! But at night you, if you are staying in that hotel in the city that never sleeps, you won´t be able to sleep, since there is the fact that all cops are using their sirene to get through traffic it is god damn loud. Hope that is a bit nicer in the cave that you are staying in...

Cheers,
Jonas